No, it's not between Drew and his scotch or even me and my Moscato (even though it might should be). Little Jackson decided about 2 weeks ago he didn't want to take a bottle anymore. He has taken a bottle since he was born with no problem. Where ever the food was he was there. All of a sudden if you tried to give him a bottle he would scream like you were shoving rotten eggs down his throat. Apparently this is common when babies hit 3 months, but I wasn't going to stand for it. Unfortunately I have a low tolerance for a crying baby. If he was hurt it would be different, but as it is I have no sympathy. This would be a battle of the wills and let me tell you mine is stronger. I knew Drew would stand strong so I knew I had to buck up. Drew had fought him and won several times, but they say babies smell their moms from 20 feet away (I wonder if they smell fear that far away too?).
Today was the day of mom's going to give you a bottle and at some point hunger will be on my side. It was eating time at 12:15...bottle in, bottle out...crying baby. Dang. Try again. Bottle in, milk and bottle out.
End of the 1st quarter Jackson -1 Mom - 0
Time for a distraction. Pacifier in...ok it's working he's calming down. A few minutes later...bottle in, a few sips taken and bottle out, crying baby. Pacifier back in.
Half time Jackson - 1 Mom -1
Bottle back in, a few more sips taken and bottle back out but not a crying baby! Ah ha! Pacifier back in and he's definitely not interested in eating anymore. Oh wait...he's falling asleep on my lap! Offsides! Not allowed! I swaddle him up and put him in his crib. Not even 5 minutes later...crying.
End of the 3rd quarter Jackson -2 Mom - 2
I know he's hungry so I grab the bottle and go in there ready for war. In the rocking chair we go and we're off...bottle in...he takes it!! I knew I would win!
Final Score Jackson - 2 Mom - 3
It may have taken 1 hour and 15 minutes (not an exaggeration), but he took the whole bottle!! Now if we can just get him to take it in less than 30 minutes, but I guess we'll do 1 thing at a time.
I didn't have an issue with Parker not taking the bottle, but I had a friend that did. She went out and bought lots of different bottle types to see if there was one that would satisfy him, and then ended up just moving to level 2 nipple (faster flow). That seemed to do the trick. Good luck! At least you don't have to go back to work and worry about him not eating all day.
ReplyDeleteyep, Luke did the same thing! It's not coming out fast enough so just move up a nipple size and see if that helps!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me laugh- that kiddo is giving you a workout! :) So glad to hear he redeemed himself with some cute rolling tricks later in the day to remind you why you love him. Need another date so I can see his mad skills!
ReplyDelete