Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Protector

Jackson, Duke and I were all in the front yard.  Duke was having his usual afternoon nap in the sun about 20 feet away from us trying to get some peace and quiet.  Jackson and I were playing on the blanket when all of a sudden I heard it...the icecream truck (or Chester the Molester as the neighborhood calls it).  The home base for icecream trucks is about 1/2 of a mile from our house and I've seen them go by every once and a while, but I had never been outside.  As it started creeping towards our house the song just gets louder and creepier.  Of course right as it passes the driveway the kid across the street comes running out.   "Wait wait!  I have to get money!"  So Chester backs up to park in front of my driveway.  Perfect.  That's when Duke lept into action.  He jumped up from his sun bed and came wandering over to us and sat on the edge of our blanket and just stared Chester down.  It was hilarious!  It was almost like Duke was daring him to get out of the van.  Duke ended up laying down because the kid took a while, but he never took his eyes off of Chester.  Finally the kid got his icecream and off Chester went.  As soon as Chester turned the corner Duke got back up and went right back to his sun spot.  Good dog.  Duke may seem like a pansy sometimes, but when duty calls he's there! 

1 comment:

  1. Yea Duke! I knew he would protect sweet Jackson. Love it.

    ReplyDelete