Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The things we do

It has been so dry here this Summer until the last week or two and we have been so happy to finally get some good drenching rain.  I started hearing some thunder so I thought oh good a nice relaxing afternoon shower.  I had just let Duke outside on his long leash so I let him back inside because like a lot of dogs he is scared to death of thunder and rain.  Within 10 minutes lighting and thunder and popping everywhere (which thanks to Mr. Science I know that means the storm is on top of us).  You know how sometimes things just start to feel a little funny.  Even Duke felt it.  He came trotting up from the back and starting looking out the windows with me.  Then the rain hit and power went off.  I ran and listened to the weather radio "A storm has just popped up in Central Fulton county near Midtown with 60 mph winds and damaging hail.  If you are in this area take cover."  What?!  Our "cover" is our guest bathroom the size of an anchovy can!  I called our friends across the street who have a much better anchovy can and didn't ask, but told her all 3 of us were coming over.  Luckily she was already hiding in their stairwell.  So I grabbed the umbrella and out we went.

It started off ok, but the problem that I mentioned earlier about Duke being scared to death of rain and thunder came into play at the bottom of our friends' very steep driveway.  Amy, our friend, is standing inside their garage seeing that Duke isn't budging and I'm stuck with baby, umbrella and diaper bag in hand.  Oh and I'm wearing rainbow flip flops.  I don't know if you've ever tried to walk in rainbows in the rain, but it's near impossible.  Amy came running down and grabbed Jackson and took back up to the garage.  So their I was, it was a stand off.  I tried picking him up, yeah right.  All he wanted to do was go home, but for all I knew our house was about the get taken out by a tree.  I decide the umbrella has to go.  So now it's me, Duke, the diaper bag and the rainbows.  Duke finally takes a step so I do, oh but I step out of one of my flip flops and I watch it as it gets taken away in a rush of water.  Bye rainbow.  It's pointless to only have 1 rainbow, so I leave the other one.  I climb into some ivy that Duke has now taken cover in and drag him along in it up to their garage.  Finally!  Soaked!!  I mean how much do we love our dogs?

About 30 minutes later Amy and I decided everything was clear so we walked to the street together and find 1 rainbow flip flop.  Oh well I needed new ones anyway.  Oh wait as I come up on my house there it is my other rainbow!  So we made it back all together.  What an afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment